[google-map-v3 width="350" height="350" zoom="15" maptype="ROADMAP" mapalign="center" latitude="12.366994" longitude="123.623609" showmarker="true" animation="BOUNCE" maptypecontrol="true" pancontrol="true" zoomcontrol="false" scalecontrol="true" streetviewcontrol="true" bubbleautopan="true" markerdirections="false" showbike="false" showtraffic="false" showpanoramio="false"]
From a humble beginning, the Masbate High School first opened in August 1917 with a first year class, with no building of its own, so that the students were housed in a classroom in what is now the Jose Zurbito Sr. Elementary School. Only first year classes were in operation for two years until a second year class was organized in 1919-20, followed by a third year class in 1922-23. Mr. Luis Barlet was the first school principal and through his foresight he ensured the reservation of a school site of 36 hectares, covering the sprawling area presently occupied by the Jose Zurbito Sr. Elementary School, Masbate Athletic Grounds, the Provincial Hospital, and extending up to Medina Street, but all that remains of this area is only 7.6 hectares.
Due to the absence of a complete secondary course, many Masbateños decided to study at the Sorsogon High School. Masbate was then a sub-province of Sorsogon.
The first graduating class during the school year 1924-25 consisted of twenty-six members, with Jose Rubia as the valedictorian and Juan Arce as the salutatorian, the principal was Mr. Alfonso Villaflor.
In the more than seven decades of its existence, the school has passed under the stewardship of nineteen principals with only two ladies in the group. Mr. Jesus Moya, who had been teaching in the school for more than ten years, became the first Masbateño to become principal in 1946. During the administration of Mr. Jesus Menez in 1947, RANCH, the school paper was founded.
The retirement of Mr. Cresenciano Bailon in 1977 gave way to the assignment of Mrs. Patria B. Butalid. Barely three months after her appointment as principal, Masbate High School was converted into Masbate National Comprehensive High School by virtue of a Presidential Proclamation, during the on-the-spot countryside visit of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos to Masbate on September 15, 1977.
The proclamation became a reality on December 7, 1977 when the school received its first budget allotment for its nationalization. This is also the day when the school celebrates its anniversary.
Since its nationalization the school has endeavored to give a quality secondary education to the youth and to the community it has committed to serve. It has made a name for itself and can hold its own among the secondary schools in the country, be it in academics, athletics and other related activities. Proof is, it was awarded The Most Effective Secondary School in Region V in 1998-2001 and one of the Top Three Schools in the entire country.
Masbate National Comprehensive High School envisions to produce young Masbateños who are imbued with high spiritual, moral and cultural values, desirable habits and attitudes and equipped with knowledge and skills to prepare them for the world of work and/or tertiary education. the parents, community and government leaders as partners in the educational process, commit in shaping students as valued and respected participants in the global community.
To provide young Masbateños access to quality basic education through dedicated and competent teachers, effective and excellent management and ably supported by cooperative community in an aesthetically satisfying environment.